ECIEEA signs € 19.7 million loan agreement for the Global Rail Baltica project



Riga, Latvia (Urban Transport News): European Executive Agency for Climate, Infrastructure and Environment (CINEA), Baltic States Joint Venture RB Rail AS, Estonian Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications, Latvian Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Transport and Lithuanian Communications signed Cross-border Grant Agreement on the financing of the European Interconnection Facility (CEF) for Rail Baltica.

The total budget of the agreement is 19.7 million euros, of which the CEF contribution will be of a maximum amount of 16.7 million euros or 85% of the total eligible costs under this agreement. The remaining 15% will be funded by the governments of the Baltic states.

“The additional funding of the Interconnection Facility in Europe and the Baltic States not only reconfirms once again the strong commitment of the EU and the Baltic partners to this unique cross-border project, but will also enable the remaining planning work to be finalized. , to accelerate the delivery of the global project by starting the design purchases of the missing links on the critical section of Kaunas – Lithuania / Poland border as well as Kaunas – Vilnius, and facilitate the start of construction purchases of the main line in Latvia ” says Agnis Driksna, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Rail Baltica Joint Venture RB Rail AS.

“It also includes several important studies such as the delivery of the cost benefit analysis and the next generation business plan for Rail Baltica. The finalization of the already started design activities for the railway installations and the main line to achieve construction readiness remains the top priority between the project partners, ”adds Driksna.

The grant agreement includes the following activities:

  • Design of Kaunas railway infrastructure in the station area (Phase I) in Lithuania;
  • Design of the Kaunas infrastructure maintenance facility in Lithuania;
  • Design changes to allow operational developments of the Riga node in Latvia;
  • Modification of the detailed technical design of the railway section of Riga Central Station, based on the operational plan of Rail Baltica in Latvia;
  • Study of the Cekule site, identification of unexploded ordnance (UXO) in the former military zone of Cekule in Latvia;
  • Planning of Pärnu County in Estonia;

Funding was also granted for a joint study on the development of the chaining and geodetic reference network of Rail Baltica in the Baltic countries and the development strategy of the IT architecture.

“Between 2014 and today, there have been seven EU-funded Rail Baltica projects, for a total EU support amount of over € 950 million. This latest project, worth nearly € 17 million in research and design grant, highlights the hard work and positive collaboration of all stakeholders involved. I wish the beneficiaries, RB Rail, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, a successful implementation of this cross-border project on the North Sea-Baltic Core Network Corridor ”, said Morten Jensen, Head of Unit at CINEA.

This grant agreement is the last for the 2014-2020 financial year.

Under the period of the EU Multiannual Financial Framework 2014-2020, as well as the newly signed agreement, the three Baltic States and RB Rail AS signed a total of seven grants designed under the funding from the European Union MIE for the construction of the conventional rail infrastructure Rail Baltica. . With the previously signed subsidy agreements, Rail Baltica has already obtained around 1.14 billion euros from European and national funds.

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.